Monday 14 December 2015

True Self

It’s not easy to know what makes up your identity…
who you are when you are free
Or maybe it’s who they want you to be.
Some don’t get the chance to say, ‘This is ME.’
Some are stopped from living to succeed,
Instead told they must follow
Something far more hollow,
A shell of a person that becomes their today…and tomorrow.

Is it the outer appearance that gives that sense?
The shape and form and tense?
Is it the position held within a fence
of society
Blocked off by conforming ideology?
Is it the things we do
that give us our sense of true
Self?

I know that I don’t wish
To be placed inside a box or a bowl
Like a fish,
Where one must swim round…and around…and around to please
Others whom just sit back with ease.
Don’t tell me to be different than I am today
A person whom is finding their own way
And does not want to stay
In a cage.
If I choose to be your opposing thought
One whom will not be wrought
With fear or wracked with jealousy
Not taught to think what I do not believe,
Even if it is more than the eye can see.
I will remain
One and the same

The person whom looks like me, holds all my heart, and is called by that name.

Claire Connor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment (all comments are subject to moderation). Writers work alone and often do not get the feedback they yearn for. Please be polite and constructive. Or, better still, send in your own poem and let us see what you got!