Monday 14 December 2015

New Norcia

Ghost gums reach towards the stars, allured by their mystical powers.
Their spider-like limbs twist and grab at the gleaming sparks, keeping
their feet planted firmly on the earth.

I wander cautiously between their bodies…

A single, golden light brings illumination to my path
where thick, black brush strokes
threaten to cover and deceive the road’s guiding stones.

But I keep my eyes above –
the glinting jewels lift my courage and brighten my thoughts.
They weave their own invisible paths through
the ominous cloak of the night sky.
So I follow their paths,
averting my gaze from the foreboding shadows
that want to grab at my arms and legs.
I can’t let their plans be fulfilled
for it would mean my doom.

As I near my destination,
my heart begins to lessen its pace,
bringing ease back to my mind.
I am within reach of comfort,
safety,
rest.


Home.

Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment (all comments are subject to moderation). Writers work alone and often do not get the feedback they yearn for. Please be polite and constructive. Or, better still, send in your own poem and let us see what you got!